Re: sources.list for security

songbird wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> >>=20
> >>   wishlist for an alias to testing so nobody who=20
> >> follows testing will need to keep changing their
> >> sources.list every time there is a release.
> >
> > What more than the 'testing' alias are you looking for?
>
>   the one i should use...

What problem have you observed that you want to fix?

Testing is, like stable and unstable, a label for a repository
with a specific policy.

If you use stable as your repo, you will get automatically
transitioned to the new stable when that is deployed. If you
don't want that to happen, you pick the specific stable version
name, like "jessie" or "buster".

If you use testing as your repo, you will get new
partially-broken packages all the time as they pass the test of
being in unstable for ten days without new RC bugs. Technically,
the testing repo is also available under the name of the next
stable major release, so you could use the name "bullseye" right
now and you would eventually end up with a stable bullseye
system. But if you use "testing", it will always be testing.

Does that help?

-dsr-