Re: Remove undesired entries in MATE "Applications" sub-menus

On 07/05/2020 01:52 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Sb, 04 iul 20, 22:42:59, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 07/04/2020 07:38 AM, nito@dismail.de wrote:
On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 06:53:56 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm using Debian10 with the MATE desktop.
The Debian installer defaults to installing a mess of applications I rarely
want. They end up with entries on MATE's Applications sub-menus.

Without deleting the offending applications from the system, how can I
delete those menu entries and replace them with links to suitable
applications.

MATE has graphical editor for this. If not already installed, the package
is named "mozo" as is the tool itself.

How would one discover that?

The package 'mozo' is recommended by 'mate-desktop-environment-extras',
which is (only) suggested by 'mate-desktop-environment'.

I've silently been grumbling about the problem
since Debian first had MATE as a default option.

Do you mean as an alternative installation image? Debian's default
desktop is still Gnome as far as I know.

I should not post when half asleep.
I have been using MATE since it was first offered as a choice on the Select and Install menu. I skipped whatever release that had Gnome3 instead of Gnome2. I have always aimed at a somewhat minimalist install and the presence of LibreOffice and Firefox on the default menu has been annoying. Neither offers any features I find desirable. I've done multiple web searches for how to tweak the Applications menu [MATE's help system being its major weak point].