Re: gnome-disk-utility User Session Defaults issue

On Fri 08 May 2020 at 16:48:52 (-0400), Default User wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2020, 12:34 Tixy <tixy@yxit.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2020-05-08 at 09:59 -0400, Default User wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I made the labels for the  partitions during the original
> > > installation:
> > >
> > > /dev/sda1 = /  (primary partition)
> > > /dev/sda2 =     (extended partition)
> > > /dev/sda5 = swap (logical partition)
> > > /dev/sda6 = /home (logical partition)
> > >
> > > So /dev/sda2 has no label, as it is just an extended partition, which
> > > "holds" logical partitions:
> > > /dev/sda5
> > > /dev/sda6

Silly me—it's a couple of decades since I had disks formatted with
extended partitions; one forgets.

But I'm surprised: which partitioner did you use, and which installer?

> > It strikes me that using '/' in a label might cause problems. E.g.
> > something (kernel? udev?) makes disks appear under /dev/disk/by-label/
> > where each entry is the label name. If that label contains a '/' then
> > it can't appear there, or if it does, it will have a mangled name to
> > remove the '/'.

Well, it is mangled, appearing as \x2f. I'm not aware that it's not
allowed, and the system ought not to get tripped up by it.
But if you try to use it, I can imagine that there might be software
that limits how you have to quote it—hex as here, or in quotes, or what?

So it would be sensible to change them to something sane. I never
stray beyond ASCII alphanumerics, though windows uses _ as well.

You might end up having to post to Gnome lists, so having them changed
may save embarrassment.

# e2label for partitions 1 and 6,
# swaplabel for 5.

> Question to all:
>
> Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, but I wonder - what would happen if I
> just either deleted the entire /dev/disk directory, or at least some
> part(s) of it.
>
> After all, it just seems to be full of various zero-byte files.  Would the
> /dev/disk directory just rebuild itself upon reboot, hopefully with
> "correct" files?

No, I wouldn't do that. I'm not sure which files you think are
incorrect, but these files should be left to be kept up-to-date
by the OS, below the level of Gnome.

Cheers,
David.