Re: Can't get Logitech webcam c910 to operate under stretch

On Fri, Apr 03, 2020 at 12:23:31PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On my laptop, with working internal webcam and internal Intel sound
> hardware, I have no /dev/audio* either.

Same on my buster desktop.

Before the Covid craziness, I had no experience with webcams and
microphones under Linux.  So, this was pretty new territory for me.  I
was given a webcam/microphone thingy to use for Microsoft Teams meetings.

My initial assumption was that I would write an asound.conf file to tell
ALSA which device to use for audio output, and which device to use for
audio input.

That turns out to be fucking impossible.  It's completely ludicrous.  There
is no simple configuration syntax like

output = 0,0
input = 1,0

That would be too easy!  Nope.  ALSA can't be configured in that way.

What I was advised to do was to install pulseaudio.

And to my utter surprise, that actually worked.  It figured out that it
should use the builtin soundcard for audio out, and the USB microphone
thingy for audio input.  Everything just worked out of the box.

Now, I don't know whether that's also true in stretch.  I also don't
know why the OP is *using* stretch as a desktop box and trying to use
unfamiliar hardware on it.  That sounds insane to me.

But maybe, just maybe, "install pulseaudio" will work for the OP.