Re: [SOLVED] Can I run dnsmasq as boot server in my environment

Quoting deloptes (2020-03-03 21:07:44)
> David wrote:
>
> > [...]
> >
> >> But the codes, alas, are not interpretable according to the
> >> ref given. An exercise for the reader :)
> >>
> >> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DHCP#Options
> >
> > My guess (untested) would be per Section 8.4 in
> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2132
> > with the leading Code=43 and Len=n
> > octets possibly prepended by the software.
> >
> > And a bit of idle searching [1] suggests that perhaps (untested)
> > only the trailing "Raspberry Pi Boot" string is required.
> >
> > Also I notice that 50:58:45 spells "PXE".
> >
> > [1] https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=209247#p1294345
>
> Hi, I read the DHCP documentation, but it does not specify how those options
> are encapsulated. The string "Raspberry Pi Boot" was not sufficient to do
> the work. I guess it is important to code the whole structure incl. this
> PXE (50:58:45)
>
> https://kb.isc.org/docs/isc-dhcp-44-manual-pages-dhcp-options#VENDOR%20ENCAPSULATED%20OPTIONS

Many years ago I messed with PXE booting, and found the official ISC
documentation insufficient for me to grasp it.  Maybe you and others
find my old config snippets - and the comments in them - enlightening
for your present use case - especially this one:
http://source.jones.dk/local-COMMON.git/tree/dhcp3/dhcpd.pxe

 - Jonas