Re: lightweight wifi UI (Was: Insidious systemd)

On Wed 29 May 2019 at 11:01:58 (-0700), Patrick Bartek wrote:

> Is Debian slowly becoming systemd proprietary?  It would be a great
> loss to Linux and its philosophy if true.  But that looks to be the
> direction Debian is headed.
>
> Once I suggested on this list when systemd first debuted with Jessie
> about choosing an init at install time as an option. It was not well
> received.  Many said it couldn't be done or was impractical. My reply
> was, if you can change inits AFTER the install completes, why not
> BEFORE.

I think it's beneficial to keep the d-i as simple as possible.
Once you've installed the system, all the tools are now available
for changing the init system to whichever one you choose. Adding
that to the d-i just bloats it (for everyone) without any
*essential* benefit to anyone.

> The thread died of apathy shortly thereafter with no resolution.

Perhaps because you didn't supply any patches for switching to
even one other init system (within the d-i, or as a post-installation
script).

Cheers,
David.