Re: systemd+anacron breaks cron jobs

On 12/5/18, Kamil Jońca <kjonca@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
>

>> My general remark that anacron is typically not needed anymore, still
>> stands though (even if it doesn't apply for your specific use case).
>
> What is other tool to make USER automated, cyclic tasks?

I learned of "apt-cache search" a LONG time ago. One of my Top 5 tools
I use A LOT every week. What I did this time was first run "apt-cache
show anacron" because that was in the subject line. That shared
"command scheduler" as an early part of the description so I ran with
that keyword phrase:

+++ BEGIN OUTPUT +++

$ apt-cache search command scheduler
anacron - cron-like program that doesn't go by time
kalarm - alarm message, command and email scheduler
libnet-openssh-parallel-perl - run SSH jobs in parallel
python-axiom - Python object database
task-spooler - personal job scheduler

+++ END OUTPUT +++

Not much but does serve as an example. Kalarm... I think I tried that
as an alarm (then went with alarm-clock-apple instead = LOVE!). I'm
going to go back and look at Kalarm with this thread in mind. I've
seen "cron job" tossed all around but never had enough brain cells
functioning at the same time to actually pursue finding an excuse to
test drive the concept.

True story is that cron jobs always sounded almost too... "daunting".
Kalarm pulling up in this mix, including via its "apt-cache show"
description, just helped throw that #fakeNews impression out the
window. #ThankYou!

Maybe you could try a different, creative combination of other
keywords' "apt-cache search" that you know should work with respect to
anacron. That might lead to more possibilities than what pulled up
above.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey