Removing firefox-esr also removes gnome

Hello,

I'm running Debian 9.5 (amd64) and attempting to uninstall firefox-esr.  However, apt says that gnome and gnome-core are among the packages which will also be uninstalled.  Does anyone know why Gnome apparently depends on firefox-esr, and how I can just uninstall firefox-esr and leave Gnome alone?

Thanks!

# apt-get remove firefox-esr
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  empathy empathy-common fonts-stix hyphen-en-us libdiscid0 libjsoncpp1 libreoffice libreoffice-help-en-us libreoffice-report-builder-bin libtelepathy-farstream3 mythes-en-us sound-juicer telepathy-gabble
  telepathy-salut
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  firefox-esr gnome gnome-core iceweasel libarchive12 libepc-1.0-3 libepc-ui-1.0-3 libgnutls-deb0-28 libgnutls28 libhogweed2 libhogweed2:i386 libnettle4 libnettle4:i386 task-gnome-desktop
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 14 to remove and 82 not upgraded.
After this operation, 121 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

--
Dave Parker '11