Re: all files moved to lost+found

On 10/1/18 8:40 PM, Abdullah Ramazanoğlu wrote:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 19:06:20 -0700 David Christensen said:
If Seagate Seatools is happy with the 2 TB drive, that should eliminate
the 2 TB drive, the cable, and the motherboard port as sources of the
problem.

I'm not sure how an on-disk cache problem could definitively be caught without
power cycling. What if on-disk controller is ignoring all cache related
commands? (cache bypass, cache invalidate, cache flush)

I must depend upon Seagate to get their firmware and their diagnostics right. If their firmware were so bad as to ignore all cache related commands, we'd probably hear about it.

Every disk that I have seen fail the manufacturer's diagnostic has also exhibited bad behavior in whatever computer it occupied.

But, the contrary is not true. When it is false (e.g. bad behavior, passes diagnostic), either I'm confused, some other part of the computer is having issues, or both. (PEBKAC is a common root cause.)

Then again, as the OP's computer seems to be a newer model, some hardware could be unsupported and/or the supporting device drivers could be incomplete and/or buggy. I know Intel provides reference FOSS drivers for their stuff; does AMD? Without a shopping list of the key chips in the OP's computer, there is no way to check support status.

David