Re: Please help with error message

	Hi.

On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 12:45:51PM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Di, Aug 07, 2018 at 01:18:59 +0300, Reco wrote:
> > > I never had your mentioned problems.
> > Either you have /sbin in your user's path, or you haven't run a single
> > apt-get all these years. There are other possibilities, of course,
> > though less flattering.
>
> Bullshit again. You didn’t read the thread, did you?

Tsk-tsk. Personal attacks on debian-user, and it's not even a Friday.

> This is new behaviour in testing because Debian switched the source for the
> su binary.
>
> Debian 9:
> stse@fsing:~$ echo $PATH
> /home/stse/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
> stse@fsing:~$ su
> Passwort:
> root@fsing /home/stse # echo $PATH
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
>
> Testing:
> [stse@osgiliath]: echo $PATH
> /home/stse/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/home/stse/wego/bin
> [stse@osgiliath]: su
> Passwort:
> osgiliath:/home/stse# echo $PATH
> /home/stse/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/home/stse/wego/bin
>
> Testing with „ALWAYS_SET_PATH yes” in login.defs:
> [stse@osgiliath]: echo $PATH
> /home/stse/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/home/stse/wego/bin
> [stse@osgiliath]: su
> Passwort:
> osgiliath:/home/stse# echo $PATH
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
>
> I hope you see the difference.

So once again Debian aligned its behaviour with RHEL. Not the first
time, not the last. A interesting change, but a minor one.
All of us using 'su -' all these years are not affected.
Users of ordinary 'su' may suffer though.

> > > „su” doesn’t change the working directory. So if you compile
> > > software as a user you can then type „make install” after su.
> > True. But this tidbit does not relate to this particular problem at all.
>
> It does. Depending on your needs you could use „su” or „su -”.

And you're telling me to read the thread. How exactly apt-get's
behaviour depends on cwd?

> > > If you need to run an X11 program as root su preserved the DISPLAY
> > > variable.
> > And it also preserves $HOME. So any changed configuration file will be
> > owned by root. Not a big deal if you never try to run the program in
>
> Only if the file never existed.

Or program's developer is trying being smart and writes changed
configuration in a different file followed by rename(2).

> > > Luckily you can switch back to the old behaviour, but this should be
> > > the default.
> > Care to provide a Debian bug number that you filled on this particular
> > issue? Because rants on debian-user do not transform to patches by
> > themselves.
>
> Which patches?

You're expressing a strong dislike of a certain change, but you're doing
so in a wrong place. An appropriate place for such dislikes is called
bugs.debian.org, and all the changes of behaviour are accepted in the
form of patches to source packages theres.

> > > As Linus would say: „Don’t break user behaviour! Give them an
> > > option to switch to a new one.”.
> > A recent kernel update (linux-4.9.110-3+deb9u1) begs to differ.
> > Two notable behaviour changes without any way to disable them.
>
> Are these security changes? Then Linus permits it if there is no other way.
> By the way, what are these changes that are breaking user space?

Too lazy to read the changelog, eh?
Fix for CVE-2018-13405 breaks directory permissions.
Fix for CVE-2018-5390 changes TCP stack.

Reco