Re: libgparted bug.

On Fri 09 Feb 2018 at 10:52:08 -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Feb 2018, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I killed udev for /dev/sdd, gparted works now. But I really need a
> > quicker way than editing a udev rule. I wonder if I could make udev
> > aware that gparted was running.
>
> udev doesn't automount by default;[1] it's likely just exposing the fact
> that a device has been inserted with specific parameters to whatever
> (some DE?) is doing the automounting.

Gene Heskett is probably using an outdated, unsupported version
of Debian. etch, potato. squeeze, that sort of thing. So there is
little point in looking for a fundamental cause of the observation.

On something more modern, udev will automount if the device is
listed in /etc/fstab and is accessed. So not by default - but it
can be arranged.

> 1: At least, it doesn't here, and I haven't specifically changed this
> configuration.

LABEL=ARCHIVE-9 /media/ARCHIVE-9 vfat ro,gid=1000,fmask=0117,dmask=0007,noatime,noauto,user,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=5,x-systemd.device-timeout=1 0 0

mounts the device and unmounts it five seconds after it is ceased
to be used.

A really nice feature of systemd. systemd.mount(5).

--
Brian