Re: Ethernet is not started at boot

Am DATE hackte AUTHOR in die Tasten: tomas@tuxteam.de
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:03:15PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>> I do not know currently, except that blueman depends on  glib-x11  which
>> is confirmed by the maintainer.  It seems gthumb has the same dependency
>> because sinde blueman is working gthumb too.
>
> I can't parse very well your last sentence.

Do you have glib-x11 installed on your system?

> Anyway, since I have a similarly minimalistic system as you have (I think
> I'm a tad worse: I tend to avoid DBUS when I can. I think it's ugly), I
> tried a simulated install of blueman:

<snip>

> So it does try to install quite a bit, but far from the whole Gnome,

Looks quit the same, if I look in the install log

> Do you have somewhere in your apt configuration an "Install-Recommends
> no"?
>
> I have, for example in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/95no-recommends:
>
>   APT::Install-Recommends no;

If I would say yes, it would install several 100 MByte more, which I
absolutely not want.  I have nearly all packages installed, which I also
had under Wheeze but Stretch is more then twice as bib as Wheeze.

The partition is 10 GByte big and I have only 1100 MByte left over.

Looks like I have installed Windows 10 light!

> This is the only way to preserve sanity if you do care about a
> minimalistic install, as you seem to do (the default is made for
> people who want a "kinda-works-out-of-the-box" thing, which is
> fine, but one should be aware of that).

But glib-x11 has nothing to du with Recommends, because it is essential
for a working blueman..

> See above. For such a system (I've myself Fvwm too, heh) some fine
> tuning of your package system seems necessary.

"fine tuning" is good, if you even don't know, what is missing!

> See above -- you need some tools to understand *why* the package system
> "wants" to do things. One very nice one is the -s option to apt (or
> apt-get),

apt does not tell me (Recommends/Suggests) that I need glib-x11 to get
something working, because even if you have Recommends/Suggests set to
no, apt-get show always what can be also installed together.

> which means "simulate": there you can see what is going
> to be installed. Another is apt show" <package name> which will tell
> you what's in the package, which others it depends on (and which other
> are "recommended" or "suggested", which may also be installed
> automatically depending on your packager config: my hunch is that
> this is what's happening to you).

I have just extracted my "base install" into a chroot and tried to
install blueman but it does not suggest or recommend essential the
essential package to get blueman working.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Recommends/Suggests.

>> I will install a second stretch in a VM and install only  the  minimum
>> and then Package by Package to  figure  out,  which  dependencies  are
>> missing.
>>
>> It is a huge work, especially when I currently work in my 5,6ha forest
>> on my BioFarm in Estonia (-10°C and 30cm snow).
>
> That sounds like some amount of fun (I always complaing about Berlin being
> too cold :-/

:-D

Normally our winter is colder up to -30°C (not very often, but it happen)

> How did you do that exactly? How do you get two DVDs ont one stick?

I was following the instructions from the Debian Website and downloaded
a Windows tool, which extract the content of an ISO image and copy it
bootable on the USB Stick.

The second DVD was copied into a subfolder DVD2/

I could boot from USB, installed the base and rebooted.
And now I could not more access the USB stick even if it was registered
in /etc/apt/sources.list because apt want to mount a DVD Rom and not an
USB Stick.

So, something is wrong in the install instructions

> I see... it should be possible to refer APT to a file system instead
> of a DVD/CDROM.

But it seems not to work under Stretch, because in the past I have
created from /var/cache/apt/archives a local mirror for other
installations.

> Heh. You can have that back (I personally don't like those new
> network names -- see below[1]).
>
>> I get an error "Device unknown"
>>
>>     ifup enp0s25
>
> So "ifup -a" leads to "Device unknown", did I understand you there?

"ifup eth0" gaved it.

> That would at least explain why the init script isn't working. So
> you might want to try what john doe proposed: stop your network (yes
> it won't work) with the init script:
>
>   sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
>
> ...and then start it again:
>
>   sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
>
> Watch carefully for error messages.

He sayed unknown device

if I vet the prompt and log into as root and then type

   ifup enp0s25

it works.

>> > How should we know? Is the broken display important?
>>
>> Yes, because Debian Stretch does not more boot and I can not see the
>> Lilo command prompt
>
> Hm. This is, of course, nasty.

Unfortunately I have not my old P4 here, because the HDD is booting in
it properly.  But the compay HDD do not boot in the T400

> Uh... are you using Lilo? Or Grub?

Lilo

>> > [...] don't panic 8-)
>>
>> SEGFAULT!
>
> :-)
>
> [1] Those new-fangled network interface names are called "predictable
>    interface names", which may sound sarcastic, but actually makes
>    some sense. If you have several ethernet interfaces, the first
>    one the kernel sees will be named "eth0", the second one "eth1",
>    etc. Machines these days tend to be pretty dynamic, so the next
>    time around, the names might be switched over. Imagine a firewall
>    where the outward-bound and the inward-bound interfaces change.

How many peoples have more then one Ethernet Interface in the computer?

The ones WHO have, know anyway how to manage  them.   My  Router  has  2
4-Port GBit cards and I know every interface by heart. I think,  I  will
by  a  new  HDD  before  I  upgrade  to  Stretch.   Debian  now  becomes
unpredictable.

Seufz, I liked the time of Debian Slink 2.1 in 1999!
Anything was soooo easy!

>    Whoops!
>
>    But for me & my laptop, where I *just* have one eth0 and one
>    wlan0, this scheme feels a bit... umm (let's be polite here).
>    So I set "net.ifnames=0" in my kernel command line at boot
>    and everything is fine again. Some set "biosdevname=0" too,
>    but I don't know currently what that does.

I nailed in the past the ethN on the HWAddress.

>    For Grub, set
>
>    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet net.ifnames=0"
>
>    in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub, and I think that's it
>
> Cheers
> - -- tomás

Thanks in advance

--