Re: Ethernet is not started at boot

On Tuesday 06 February 2018 05:42:53 Michelle Konzack wrote:

> #########  Do not Cc: me, I am on THE LIST and I do not need
> ########## #########  messages twice which make it very hard to
> answer.  ##########
>

> Am DATE hackte AUTHOR in die Tasten: tomas@tuxteam.de
>
> > This is all? No "lo" stanza? Hm.
>
> it is:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> > In that case, it looks more or less correct. Issuing "ifup -a"
> > should bring up your enp0s25 interface. Does it?
>
> Yes, it is up.
>
> The problem since Jessie is, that my PostgreSQL instances (I have 4)
> and the nfs mounts plus VPN are ALWAYS started before the network and
> exit with errors.
>
> I have to start ALL services by hand in order!
>
> If PostgreSQL can not start, then NO USER can log into the systenm!
>
> > But in this case it isn't clear what is triggering your DHCP
> > client.
>
> I have already deinstalled the isc-dhcp-client.
>
> > Nothing else in some subdirectory /etc/network/interfaces.d?
>
> No.
>
> I have now moved the config for ethernet to
>
> /etc/network/interfaces.d/enp0s25
>
> So the content of the files show
>
> ----[ /etc/network/interfaces
> ]----------------------------------------- # This file describes the
> network interfaces available on your system # and how to activate
> them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
IF lack of a gateway "UG" entry in route -n is the problem, try this.

> ----[ /etc/network/interfaces.d/enp0s25
> ]

> auto enp0s25
> iface enp0s25 inet static
>         address         192.168.0.202
>         netmask         255.255.255.0
>         gateway         192.168.0.1
>         network         192.168.0.0
>
> allow-hotplug enp0s25
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Doesn't the above line belong ABOVE the iface line? It has been in every
example I've looked at. I am not using that line as its static, not
dhcpd.

I just went thru around 3 days of screwing around with a 'static' setup
on an arm64 rockchip, could not get it to take a gateway assignment so I
couldn't go anyplace out of my home network, until I added this last
line to /etc/network/interfaces.d/eth0:

up route add default gw 192.168.xx.1

The usual gw assignment seems to be broken in stretch, but now it works
as shown by a route -n. And has continued to work over several reboots.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)