Re: Opening Intellicast Causes Firefox to close

On Tue 07 Nov 2017 at 14:11:35 (-0500), Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> On 11/07/2017 01:50 PM, Will Mengarini wrote:
> >* Stephen P Molnar <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> [17-11/07=Tu 07:20 -0500]:

> >* Joe <joe@jretrading.com> [17-11/07=Tu 16:03 +0000]:
> >>Not from that site, but if I call up my bank's login page, the tab
> >>crashes.  This began about six months ago, and I put it down to
> >>the INSANE LEVEL OF SCRIPTING THAT SOME WEB DESIGNERS SEEM TO NEED
> >>[emphasis added].  It is 52.4.0/64bit on Sid, also kept up to date.
> >>I use NoScript, but even with all scripts enabled, it still crashes.
> >>
> >>Konqueror opens that page without crashing, but
> >>fails to actually enter login details.  Midori
> >>did work, but stopped a couple of weeks ago.
> >>
> >>I actually have upstream FF56 separately installed, which
> >>works on that page, but that doesn't have a working
> >>'back' button, so I use it only for the bank site.
> >We're reaching a point where legislative intervention would be
> >justified.  None of this scripting benefits users; it doesn't
> >even benefit the companies purveying the services.  Instead,
> >it benefits the marketroids that have made a livelihood out of
> >persuading PHBs that what they do benefits their employers.
> >
> >HTML 1.0 can do everything we need from a bank site.
> >It doesn't even need graphics, let alone scripting.
> >
> >But it does need security, which both scripting and graphics compromise.
> >
> >I'm not aware of any bank wise enough to offer an
> >HTML 1.0 interface that can be browsed by Lynx.
> >
> >>I have the impression that website/browser capabilities are
> >>now far beyond being deterministic or even vaguely testable.
> >When the heavy hand of government is starting to look preferable
> >to market forces, we're in truly-late-stage capitalism.
> >
> >(1) I am not a crook.
> >(2) America does not torture.
> >(3) Don't be evil.
> >
> I appreciate the replies.
>
> I'm probably going to have to change browsers, although I like the
> way the Firefox handles Speeddial.

No problem here on this 2008 Pentium M with 500MB memory.
Did I miss the actual URL? I'm looking at 4 tabs with the
local weather, the radar animation (Salina), ditto for the
US, and the active map animation. I get a good blast from
the fan when I switch between them, or into this editor.
I just clicked from the six links that googling gave me,
and then the map itself, eg
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?region=sln

There's a little advert at the top right (A revolution in
high resolution; get the app) and an empty column of blank
below it. Is this because of the link I just posted under
"Iceweasel woes"? Do others see lots of advertising down
the righthand side?

Thanks for the site, though. I use wunderground which
has discrete radar circles centered on (I assume) the
stations, like Alma-Topeka (TWX), Dodge City (DDC) etc.
https://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states/ks/topeka-alma/twx/?region=sln
The actual forecast site has recently introduced a lot
more scripting than a couple of months ago, so the fan
has to work overtime. For quick results before you go
out the door, I wrote a script to wget the page and extract
just the max, min, current, and feels-like temperatures.
The other annoying thing is that I can no longer get the
page to come up as a 10-day chart. Anyway, for here it's at
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/ks/manhattan/66502

I shall try comparing the sites when the next storm comes
over. Gosh we've had barely a millimetre in three weeks.

Cheers,
David.