Re: Live recording

On 08/07/17 16:13, David Christensen wrote:
On 08/07/17 00:18, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
I started with one microphone: I bought an external USB audio card and
plugged
into the USB port of my computer.  Then I plugged the microphone into
the `mic'
input of the card and started Audacity.  From the main menu, I
selected the
`USB PnP Sound Device' as recording device, pressed the red button,
spoke into
the mic but no sound is recorded: not even the usual wave forms are
shown.
Neither with socks nor arecord can I record my voice from that USB
card.  Any
idea...?

Audacity is doing what you told it to do -- record from the USB audio
interface device.  Plug your microphone into that.

My bad -- I mis-read your post and thought you plugged the microphone into your laptop.

What is the make and model of your USB audio interface?

Does it have Linux support?

Does the device appear under whatever audio mixer applet you have on your desktop? Is it unmuted? Is the gain turned up?

David