Re: Live recording

On 2017-08-06, Glenn English <ghe2001@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that a stereo microphone is comprised of two
>> microphones in a single unit. That's pretty black and white.\
>
> There was discussion of whether there is such a thing. And I
> considered two mics in one device is kinda half way between one and
> two. Grey :-)
>
>> Why you would use such a device rather than recording with two discrete
>> microphones in an X-Y, ORTF, or MS (et al) configuration (but I read
>> there are single, MS recording units) I dunno.
>
> I use my C-24 because of the mind boggling sound that comes out of it.
> And I can pretty easily just hang it from the ceiling in the middle of
> a concert hall and get an outstanding recording.
>
> Should have said 'used' instead  of 'use'. I got out of the recording
> business when digital audio came along, and became a computer geek --
> computers are as much fun as tape recorders...
>
> MS is trouble because of the transformer(s) used to decipher the
> cardioid/bidirectional mic patterns.

As a total novice I was intrigued by the MS method's post-recording
adjustability. For recording someone singing while accompanying himself
at the acoustic piano I suppose you would need at least three
microphones. Laying down the piano track first would probably present
less difficulties.

It's complicated.  That's why they call them sound *engineers*, I guess.

> Jeremy's post explains all this pretty well.

Yes.

--
“Certitude is not the test of certainty.”
--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.