Re: Live recording

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017, at 08:07, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Jeremy Nicoll <jn.ml.dbn.25@letterboxes.org> writes:

> > If you do that you'll be recording at most 2 channels,
>

> Mmmhhh...  this is not clear to me.  Why only two...?  Suppose the mixer
> has 3
> channels, can't I plug three mics into it..?   Say two for the piano and
> the
> third for the voice...?

You described connecting the mixer to your computer's line-in port.  The
line-in is stereo ie 2 channels.

So, yes, you can connect more than 2 mics to a mixer, but then use the
mixer
to mix/merge those signals into just two which you send to the computer.

It mean the decisions on how to do that mix have to be made at the time
of
the recording... which is not easy if there's background noise, or
hardly any
time to do it, or you are listening on headphones whereas later on you
could
also listen on speakers...

A multi-channel USB audio interface lets you record all the signals at
the time,
then do the mixing and experiments later.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.