unmount sys/fs/cgroup/systemd after chroot, without rebooting

Dear all,

I would be grateful for your guidance on my question below.

N.B. It is also posted at StackExchange:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/362870 . I understand that
some readers of this list who might find the question interesting and
be able to help answer it probably do not use that website, so I hope
you do not mind me cross-posting it here.

Thanks :)

§ § §

(Background: I am exploring how to copy an ordinary LVM-on-LUKS Debian
9 ("Stretch") installation from a thumb drive (the "source drive")
onto a ZFS-formatted drive (the "target drive") in order to achieve a
ZFS-on-LUKS installation. My process is based on
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Debian-Jessie-Root-on-ZFS .* I
think the ZFS aspect is irrelevant to the issue I would like help
with, but I am mentioning it just in case it matters.)

As part of my process, while Stretch is running from the source drive,
I mount the target ZFS root (`/`) filesystem at `/mnt`. I then
recursively bind:

- `/dev` to `/mnt/dev`
- `/proc` to `/mnt/proc`
- `/sys` to `/mnt/sys`.

I then chroot into `/mnt`.

(In the future, when I am chrooted into `/mnt`, I intend to run
`update-initramfs`, `update-grub`, etc, to configure the contents of
the `/boot` partition.)

I then exit the `chroot`, and my trouble begins. I find that I can
unmount `/mnt/dev` and `/mnt/proc`, **but not `/mnt/sys`**. The latter
refuses to unmount because it contains `/mnt/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd`,
which the system for some reason thinks is "in use". Reformatting the
ZFS drive and rebooting fixes the problem, but hugely slows the
iterations of my learning and documentation process.

My questions are:

- How can I unmount `/mnt/sys` after the chroot, without rebooting?

- Is the failure (`umount: /mnt/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd: target is
busy`) expected? If not, against which piece of software should I file
a bug report: [umount](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Util-linux),
[cgroups](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cgroups),
[systemd](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd), the [Linux
kernel](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel), or something
else?

Here is (I think) a [minimal working
example](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimal_Working_Example). (If
you are having difficulty reproducing this and think I might have
missed out a step, let me know.) First, the boilerplate:

    # Activate the ZFS kernel module
    /sbin/modprobe zfs

    # Set variables
    BOOT_POOL=bpool
    ROOT_POOL=rpool
    DIRS_TO_COPY=(boot bin etc home lib lib64 opt root sbin srv usr var)
    FILES_TO_COPY=(initrd.img initrd.img.old vmlinuz vmlinuz.old)
    VIRTUAL_FILESYSTEM_DIRS=(dev proc sys)

    ## Partition target drive
    # 1MB BIOS boot partition
    sgdisk -a2048 -n1:2048:4095     -t1:EF02 $1 -c 1:"bios_boot_partition"
    wait
    # 510MB partition for /boot ZFS filesystem
    sgdisk -a2048 -n2:4096:1052671  -t2:BF07 $1 -c 2:"zfs_boot_partition"
    wait
    # Remaining drive space, except the last 510MiB in case of future need:
    # partition to hold the LUKS container and the root ZFS filesystem
    sgdisk -a2048 -n3:1052672:-510M -t3:8300 $1 -c 3:"luks_zfs_root_partition"
    wait

    # Before proceeding, ensure /dev/disk/by-id/ knows of these new partitions
    partprobe
    wait

    # Create the /boot pool
    zpool create -o ashift=12            \
                 -O atime=off            \
                 -O canmount=off         \
    	     -O compression=lz4      \
    	     -O normalization=formD  \
                 -O mountpoint=/boot     \
                 -R /mnt                 \
                 $BOOT_POOL "$1"-part2
    wait

    # Create the LUKS container for the root pool
    cryptsetup luksFormat "$1"-part3               \
                          --hash sha512            \
                          --cipher aes-xts-plain64 \
    		      --key-size 512
    wait

    # Open LUKS container that will contain the root pool
    cryptsetup luksOpen "$1"-part3 "$DRIVE_SHORTNAME"3_crypt
    wait

    # Create the root pool
    zpool create -o ashift=12           \
                 -O atime=off           \
                 -O canmount=off        \
                 -O compression=lz4     \
                 -O normalization=formD \
                 -O mountpoint=/        \
                 -R /mnt                \
                 $ROOT_POOL /dev/mapper/"$DRIVE_SHORTNAME"3_crypt
    wait

    # Create ZFS datasets for the root ("/") and /boot filesystems
    zfs create -o canmount=noauto -o mountpoint=/      "$ROOT_POOL"/debian
    zfs create -o canmount=noauto -o mountpoint=/boot  "$BOOT_POOL"/debian

    # Mount the root ("/") and /boot ZFS datasets
    zfs mount "$ROOT_POOL"/debian
    zfs mount "$BOOT_POOL"/debian

    # Create datasets for subdirectories
    zfs create                     -o setuid=off              "$ROOT_POOL"/home
    zfs create -o mountpoint=/root
"$ROOT_POOL"/home/root
    zfs create -o canmount=off     -o setuid=off  -o exec=off "$ROOT_POOL"/var
    zfs create -o com.sun:auto-snapshot=false
"$ROOT_POOL"/var/cache
    zfs create
"$ROOT_POOL"/var/log
    zfs create
"$ROOT_POOL"/var/mail
    zfs create
"$ROOT_POOL"/var/spool
    zfs create -o com.sun:auto-snapshot=false     -o exec=on
"$ROOT_POOL"/var/tmp
    zfs create                                                "$ROOT_POOL"/srv
    zfs create -o com.sun:auto-snapshot=false     -o exec=on  "$ROOT_POOL"/tmp

    # Set the `bootfs` property. ***TODO: IS THIS CORRECT???***
    zpool set bootfs="$ROOT_POOL"/debian "$ROOT_POOL"

    # Set correct permission for tmp directories
    chmod 1777 /mnt/tmp
    chmod 1777 /mnt/var/tmp

And here's the core part of the issue:

    # Copy Debian install from source drive to target drive
    for i in "${DIRS_TO_COPY[@]}"; do
        rsync --archive --quiet --delete /"$i"/ /mnt/"$i"
    done
    for i in "${FILES_TO_COPY[@]}"; do
        cp -a /"$i" /mnt/
    done
    for i in "${VIRTUAL_FILESYSTEM_DIRS[@]}"; do
        # Make mountpoints for virtual filesystems on target drive
        mkdir /mnt/"$i"
        # Recursively bind the virtual filesystems from source
environment to the
        # target. N.B. This is using `--rbind`, not `--bind`.
        mount --rbind /"$i"  /mnt/"$i"
    done

    # `chroot` into the target environment
    chroot /mnt /bin/bash --login

    # (Manually exit from the chroot)

    # Delete copied files
    for i in "${DIRS_TO_COPY[@]}" "${FILES_TO_COPY[@]}"; do
        rm -r /mnt/"$i"
    done

    # Remove recursively bound virtual filesystems from target
    for i in "${VIRTUAL_FILESYSTEM_DIRS[@]}"; do
        # First unmount them
        umount --recursive --verbose --force /mnt/"$i" || sleep 0
        wait
        # Then delete their mountpoints
        rmdir /mnt/"$i"
        wait
    done

At this last step, I get:

    umount: /mnt/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd: target is busy
        (In some cases useful info about processes that
         use the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1).)

In case it helps: `findmnt` shows the full `sys` tree mounted twice:
once at `/sys` and identically at `/mnt/sys`.

* Debian Jessie Root on ZFS, [CC BY-SA
3.0](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/), by Richard Laager
and George Melikov.