Re: reasons to ditch LILO before upgrading to jessie?

On Fri 08 Jul 2016 at 15:08:21 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:

> On 08/07/16 02:19 PM, Brian wrote:

> >>A lot of trouble for something that can be avoided if you just edit the
> >>correct files in the first place.
> >Let's see. You write your own grub.cfg or edit the existing one. You
> >want to preserve your file from being changed so you use a *one line
> >command* to ensure that. But this one line command is a lot of trouble.
> >A one line command is onerous?
> >
> >It is much easier to edit the unspecified "correct files" to stop any
> >changes to grub.cfg at a Debian upgrade which attempts to regenerate
> >it? One lives and learns.
> >
> Let's see then. You can edit a grub template file or grub.cfg. You make the

No. You edit or devise a grub,cfg. GRUB template files are not involved.
They are irrelevant. You can ignore them because you are doing you own
thing. You have decided what *you* want, not what /etc/grub.d wants to
give you.

If you have some way of easily adjusting files in /etc/grub.d to the
needs of a user I wish you would say.

> same change either way but the grub template file won't get clobbered so
> there is no need to run dpkg-divert.

It's not the same change. ("grub template file". What is that? There
isn't one as far as I can see).

> Moreover, you don't need to update a system manual to note that you are
> diverting a package. You just need to note that a single file is not the
> package maintainers default - something you have to do either way.

Diverting is a Debian thing. The GRUB manual would never mention it.