Re: Interesting audio problem

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 09:44:53 deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com>
> David Niklas wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 10:48:12 deloptes wrote:
> > Thanks all, deloptes questioned me the most thoroughly so I'm
> > replying to him.

> >> Hi David,

> >> *************
> >> Did you try with different cables/jacks? What type of jack is it -
> >> perhaps you soldiered yourself, or perhaps some special headphones -
> >> just asking? In my opinion it might be either hardware - jack is
> >> shortening, or some odd setting somewhere, but if latter it wouldn't
> >> be same on different board. Anyway for the case it is not the jack
> >> itself we would need some additional info. In debian
> > Yes, I'm pretty certain that this is a hardware problem. I've tried
> > different headphones to no avail. The jack is built into the MB.
> > I was curious if others have experienced this, maybe all I have to do
> > is open the plastic jack case on the MB and adjust something. I'd try
> > this without your help but I, frankly, don't know if it would
> > work/what I'm doing and I want to know what I'm doing when messing
> > with the MB.
>
> What we meant was not the female jack on the board, but the male jack of
> your head phones or amplifier. Some vendors do not follow the standards
> (like Apple).
> The female jack on the board should be standard though - unless you use
> some exotic hardware.
>

> > <<From the laptop since it's going to be shorter.>>
> >> cat /proc/asound/cards
> > 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
> >                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xc0610000 irq 28
> >> cat /proc/asound/card*/codec*
> >> cat /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
> >>
> >> Please attach or upload somewhere.
> > They are attached
> >

> This is well known Codec: Realtek ALC282
> I'm just not sure if you have Line-In jack there. I mean if you can
> record stereo from external source.
> This would explain why you hear only one line. You can check easily the
> specs of your mainboard. I couldn't find stereo capture and I'm not an
> expert.
>
> I found this here
> http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2014-January/071161.html
I'd have to look at this later, it's a bit beyond me at first glance.

> Could be that you need to try recent kernel version
As I mentioned, this did not occur when I fist used my computer (brand
new, see the part above with stars), and as I've had this problem for
3.18 -- 4.1 of the linux kernel on my laptop and 2.6 -- 4.1 on my desktop
I hardly think it's a matter of upgrading.

> >> Another option would be a setting to turn off speaker when you plugin
> >> headphones.
> > Why? And there are not speakers, at least on my desktop. The laptop
> > speakers I mute when using headphones, they used to auto mute, but now
> > the computer thinks the hp are always attached so I turned that off.

> >> There is no connection between these two. What means correctly?
> > There is a Microphone and "Line in" jack on my desktop and a line out
> > on the player (wasn't this kinda obvious?).

> >> It's just like normal recorder - set up input output level and
> >> record. If your mixer or pulseaudio are not set up properly you
> >> could have issues with the volume. I would check both. There are
> >> also cases where the settings for specific audio chips are broken or
> >> misaligned - it might also need attention. Just post the specs of
> >> your audio card and setup and there will be perhaps someone with the
> >> same who could compare and share
> >>
> >> regards
> > I thought of that, but I'm not certain how to tell the computer
> > whether to record what the computer is playing (don't want), vs.
> > telling it to record from the Mic/line in.
>
> You can do this in the mixer with the switch settings - I think probably
> pulse audio or the mixer of your distro.
Yeah, I probably could google this under the lines of "How to turn off/on
audio looping in alsa"
This looks promising:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/Jack_and_Loopback_device_as_Alsa-to-Jack_bridge

Thanks, David