Re: a little jessie whinage

Glenn English <ghe@slsware.net> writes:

> 'hostname -f' isn't rocket science -- it's just a small lookup. I
> suspect it goes to ifconfig for the IP then in hosts for the FQDN that
> matches the IP, or, apparently, resolv.conf and hostname.

You shouldn't suspect, it's in the Fine Manual. It calls into the C
library name/address resolution functions, so it uses whatever is
configured in nsswitch.conf; that means /etc/hosts first on a default
install. No need to call in an external resolver for that.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.