Re: Sound card question

On 9/30/2015 10:39 AM, Doug wrote:

On 09/30/2015 09:55 AM, Danny wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a Sigmatel STAC9227 on-board sound card. Everything works fine as it
should. It has the normal Mic , Ext.Speaker and Line-Out jacks.

Currently the Mic and Ext.Speaker plugs are permanently occupied via speaker/mic
headphones (Amateur Radio Stuff) ...

What I would like to know is if it would be possible to send audio that goes to
the headphones to the Line-Out jack at the same time?

Thank You

Danny

Why not just get a Y adapter?

--dm

Ditto on the Y adapter, or some other external solution.

Normal 3 jack hardware would be Pink (Microphone), Green (Audio Out), Blue (Line In).

Some hardware implementations do allow some jack functions to be changed, but that may or may not be the case for your specific hardware and if the hardware is capable may or may not be a feature that is implemented in the linux driver/mixer software.

Normally if it is an option that is implemented I would expect it to show as a toggle in one of the alsa mixers, possibly in the pulse audio stuff as well, similar to the way 'Mic Boost' might show in the mixers when the hardware supports that function.

If you do actually have an audio out and a line out and the line out doesn't produce audio when something is plugged into the audio out, it may be an indication that it's a hardwired mechanical function built into the audio out jack to break the circuit to the
line out jack when anything is plugged into audio out.

There are a few variables between the capabilities of the audio chip, the mixer it is paired with at the hardware level, the way the jacks are routed to these and the way these show
up in the mixer at the software level.

Maybe someone with the same/similar audio hardware will chime in with what they see.

Later, Seeker