Re: unmet dependencies: libcurl4-openssl-dev

On 02/06/2015 01:01 PM, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
On Fri, Feb 06 2015,Lisi Reisz wrote:

[snipped 7 lines]

Unfortunately, it looks as though you may have to .... but had you thought of
Jessie?

The missus is asking "who's Jessie and why are you thinking of her?" ;)

Sure, I'd upgrade to Jessie

That might let you have both!  Or is there a reason why you don't
want Jessie?

Nothing, I just went the latest kde iso I could find on the web for
debian in November last which was debian 7.7 kde.  after a few
upgrades the debian version shows 7.8 on my system today.  A path to
upgrade, preferably a netinstall upgrade would be great.  A document to
read BEFORE I invariably hose the system would also help if its
available somewhere on the debian site.

Or you could live with what you have got for now and upgrade to Jessie fairly
soon after it becomes Stable.

All I'm looking for is the following

KDE framework;  I don't want GNOME
Emacs
Rstudio(I know it's a separate download)
Python 2.7 and 3.x
Python package system to install additional libraries
Hadoop/Spark bits and bobs

If the upgrade provides for the bare minimum first and then allows to
incrementally add software (like the LIVE CDs that I found), it would
be gold.

Or just live with what you have got.

Anyhow, welcome to Debian.  I don't think anyone has said that. ;-)

Thank you, the responses to my queries have been more than a welcome
with people going out of their way to diagnose my usual knackering of
the system.

Do a CLEAN install to Jessie, if at all possible. There is just too great a gap between Jessie and Wheezy for me to trust upgrading. This way you get it all right, from the get-go. It would be like "upgrading" 8.04 Ubuntu to 14.10 in one go. Do a backup and let /home get clobbered too. That went flawlessly for me. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html