Re: /dev/* and ALSA.

On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 21:12 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-02-03 at 08:45 -0800, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> > Now I have /dev/USBspeakers and /dev/USBheadset, and wonder whether
> > ALSA can recognize /dev/USBspeakers rather than "SiS7012 AC'97
> > Sound Controller" as the default device.

I don't understand this!

AFAIK you can't use obscure individual names to set up a sound device
order. I'm missing this, since I'm using two Envy24 cards of the same
type as MIDI interfaces and Linux can't automatically restore MIDI
connections for those cards, because it's unable to distinguish the both
cards, even while always the same card gets IRQ 20 and the other always
IRQ 21, but for ALSA both cards have the same name.