Re: why linux can't see my memory

On 06/01/14 16:24, Long Wind wrote:
> On 1/5/14, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> I have said "mem=" option doesn't work
> Its result is nearly the same as I don't enter boot option "mem="
> After reading (loading) kernel, the machine reboot
> (apparently it has memory problem)
>
> according lili.conf manual, "mem=" is passed to kernel by lilo

LiveCDs (and non-live, install CDs) do not use lilo. The "mem=xM" in
this instance is used by syslinux.

Make sure "mem" is followed by a real figure seen by the system in the
POST. That figure must be followed by "M". Any variation will *not* have
an effect.

> I have tested "mem=" with 2 Linux installation CD
> Will Live CD make difference?
>
> I can't boot Linux, so I can't run dmidecode
>
> I use a AGP card, so I have not thought shared video memory might cause trouble
> I will check now

Shared?

I though you had removed the AGP card which had *built-in* video RAM and
are using the on-board video which uses System RAM (??)

Note also that the amount of RAM used by an AGP video card and the size
of the aperture are different. The aperture must be at least as large as
the amount of video RAM (*if* your BIOS has an AGP aperture setting).

> Can I run dmidecode from woody?

I don't know. I suspect you have an "install" CD for Woody, so you'd
have to do an installation before dmidecode would be available - which
is why I suggested using a live CD instead (boot and use instead of boot
-> install -> reboot -> use).

Should you install Woody?
IMO no.
You *will* have problems with Woody.
It probably *won't* support your hardware.
Stick to Wheezy.

Kind regards