keyboard settings clobbered

Something keeps turning off my key repeater setting.  I'm not sure if that's the technical term, but pressing and holding a key doesn't do anything.  I have to go into System Settings and toggle the "repeat" checkbox, then it works again.

NOTE, it will then quit working in a short time frame, i.e. several times a day.  When it quits, it's still set in to repeat in the System Settings -> Keyboard settings.  If I toggle it off, and then back on, it resets it to repeat.

Any idea what is causing this?

wheezy/gnome3.4