Re: XFCE4 - gedit - was Re: Thanks

On 9/5/13, Kailash <listskailash@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Another vote for xfce.  I switched to it quite a while ago, and have
>>> been happy since.
>>
>> I don't like mousepad editor however, and I don't gedit. So I installed

BTW, that should have been "I don't mind gedit"..

>> gedit.
>>
>> But gnome apps aren't configuring properly; in particular, in the menu
>> bar of gedit (and I've seen it elsewhere I think), all the menus are
>> jammed up against each other - no nice spacing between them. Anyone
>> know what I ought to install to make these gnome menus work properly
>> with XFCE4 ?
>>
> Hi Zenaan,
>
> Have you tried running gedit from terminal? Perhaps some interesting
> errors or warnings may crop up.

Good point. In fact, that's the only way I run it :)

Which reminds me, evince always comes up with an error .. checking now ..

Turns out, they both produce almost identical errors. Gedit error:

(gedit:15593): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:101:18:
Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

Evince error:

(evince:15620): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:101:18:
Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

And that to me looks perhaps like the perfect culprit, let's say that
the original gtk.css is assuming cm or mm, and this new theme parser
is assuming 'px', so 5mm would definitely be greater than 5px. And if
that is mean to be the minimum width of a menu, of course we end up
with no gaps between menus. This however is just my theoretical
metahypotheticalizationisms.

Anyone know how to fix, or what to install .. ?