Re: Installing Debian on an SSD

Lisi Reisz wrote:
> root@Tux-II:/home/lisi# sfdisk -d /dev/sda
> # partition table of /dev/sda
> unit: sectors
>
> /dev/sda1 : start=     2048, size= 58591232, Id=83, bootable

That 2048 there shows that it did the right thing.  So I am wrong and
Squeeze does handle it correctly.  Thank you for correcting my error. :-)

(And now that I have dug into it further I see that I should have been
able to determine this myself from other machines I could have
checked.  Just never enough time.  But I now I see on Squeeze installs
that it does align SSD installations correctly.)

> > If it says 2048 and you didn't do anything to force it then I am wrong
> > and Squeeze supports it okay.  And thank you for correcting me.  :-)
>
> No forcing!  That is on my box.  My husband's is in use.

As a side note I always set up OpenVPN between my laptops and my home
server so that I can always connect to my laptop without knowing what
address it is dynamically using at the moment.  You could then log in
remotely and check on things like this without disturbing him.  (smile)

> > I had remembered needing to force the alignment.  But maybe that was
> > in the previous release and I am simply confusing the two.  I am sure
> > that the Wheezy 7.0 installer sets up the alignment properly.
>
> I just do practically a default installation, apart from refusing
> Gnome and adding print server and ssh server at the tasksel stage.

Very good.

Bob