Re: [OT] Intelectual Property Law

On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 09:34:19 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Celejar writes:
> > ...I lean libertarian...
>
> So do I, which is the basis of my criticism of copyright.
>
> > ...if you don't like the terms of the contract, don't sign it...
>
> Right.  If you don't want those to whom you sell copies of your work to
> make additional copies induce them to sign a contract in which they
> agree not to do so.

But property rights are treated as fundamental, even (especially!) in
libertarian thought. I don't need a contract with you to prevent you
from stealing my property, and intellectual property law, IIUC,
stipulates that IP is treated somewhat (although certainly not
entirely) like tangible property.

Celejar