Re: daft newbie questions

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 04:37:11 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-10-01 at 17:33 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 18:06:31 +0100, Andrew Wood wrote:
>>
>> > I thought Wheezey was still on Gnome 2.30, not even 2.32?
>>
>> I guessed the OP was using an Evolution from another distribution.
>
> Current Evolution for testing's GNOME 2.30.2 is 3.0.3.

Yes, but the OP could be using another EVO not packaged by Debian.

> If you've got friends who are journalists in China, than you better
> don't use Evolution. You might use the undo option and this will send
> the email, before you encrypted it, so this little bug might be the
> cause that your friends will be killed by the Chinese government.

I can understand that you have been hit by Evo recently but hey, we all
have bad days and we all now software can fail.

I don't know what that "undo" function is all about but if it does what I
think it does (similar to Gmail's undo ability) then I would not rely on
it, I mean, on the function, not the program. You can't blame the
"messenger" :-)

>> > Ive been trying 3.0 out on Fedora and think its great ( Gnome 3 that
>> > is not Fedora ;) A few rough edges on the new System Prefs app but
>> > nothing that wont be polished up in time.
>>
>> If you like GNOME 3 + gnome-shell then you're fortunate.
>
> GNOME 3 will bring us a lot of pain :(.

More than GNOME 3 I'd say gnome-shell. GNOME 3 is quite good in wheezy.

> Fortunately there are a lot of discussions about the DE that will
> replace GNOME for many people, as soon as GNOME 2 will be dropped.

I will give GNOME 3 (gnome-shell) a chance but I don't discard moving to
another desktop (or even try luck with a WM) in the event it becomes
something unable to deal with.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón