Re: [OT] Debian Questions on apt-get

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 09:10 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> >> No. It's not. This is an endless source of confusion for folks coming
> >> over from RHEL land. "apt-get update" just resyncs your local
> >> repository information, it attempts to install nothing.
> >>
> >> The equivalent apt command is "apt-get upgrade". The equivalent yum
> >> command to "apt-get update" is "yum clean metadata; yum list", to
> >> update the available package list.
> >
> > As a German and a child from the 80's (44 years today) I started with
> > SUSE Linux and IIRC they do use yum too, still have got Suse 11.2
> > installed, but I'm using yast2, if ever I should change something.
> >
> > Don't try to find equivalents, re-educate yourself.
>
> Especially if you've been using YaST based tools. Lord, SuSE did
> nastiness to that with the non-RPM-based packages from third parties.
> I welcome Debian's consistent approach of "bundle it and do it right:
> here are good tools for you" rather than trying to outsmart the vendor
> packaging systems. (NVidia drivers, shudder!!!!)
>
> Apt has been a very intelligible and effective shift from yum based
> repositories for me: much of the credit for that goes to the Debian
> maintainers and their firm grasp of "give them enough rope to hang
> themselves, if they want, but make sure it's *good rope* and won't
> break at surprising moments or chafe their backsides when they make a
> hammock".

A last OT mail from me. Switching from Suse to Debian (for a while I
used Ubuntu and now switched back from Ubuntu to Debian) made at least
my life easier, just some re-education was needed and of cause some
multi-distro behaviours still track me, yesterday, for the first time
ever I used debuild instead of checkinstall to build current ALSA
packages. Building a kernel on Debian is much more comfortable, than on
Suse and yes, it's easier to break a Suse especially when doing an
upgrade, than to break a Debian.

OtherMMV

Ralf