Re: Problems installing grub/lilo with RAID1 on /

Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

>>Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What do RV and GAI mean? I've googled both and not foudn anything to
>>> help. "0.90" and "1.2" are mdraid metadata versions. Were these
>>> disks previously in another array and do you now have two types of
>>> metada on them?
>
>> No, I did not change any hardware config before reinstalling with
>> squeeze. I also had a RAID1 root fs with those two disks before.

hi Tom,

> There may be more to your problem than this but you definitely have a
> metadata problem.
>
> Some more googing yielded RV and GAI as "raid version" and "get array
> info" so your previous mdraid metadata must've been v0.90 and you're
> new metadata's the Squeeze d-i default, v1.2.
>
> Since they're written to different parts of the HD, they can co-exist
> and must be confusing grub and lilo.
>
> I only know how to remove all metadata (with "--zero-superblock") so I
> have no idea how to fix your problem short of backing up your install,
> recreating your array, and restoring the install... Sorry.

No change after I called:
  mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sda2
  mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdb2

Next I tried to create the array directly with mdadm and bypassing
partman (d-i partitioner). That way, I can install grub when creating
the array with old metadata:

$ mdadm --create /dev/md0  --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2 \
/dev/sdb2 --metadata=0.9

However, when I reboot the system, I get:
-----------
Gave up waiting for root device. Common Problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline): check root=, rootdelay=
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
- ALERT! /dev/md0 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!
-----------

Here is the fstab from the installed system:
-----------
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# / was on /dev/md0 during installation
UUID=0a94e4b3-9b3b-4290-9fa3-9e8ed167136a /               ext3    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=ce46b046-fce5-4298-a06e-2b3680406eaa none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd1       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

Could it be that the /dev/md0 I created manually is not permanent
because d-i didn't create it (although the manually created /dev/md0
could be seen in partman)?

Thank you!
--
Felix Natter