Re: syncing on Debian Squeeze with pilot-link

On Wed, 18 May 2011 15:29:15 -0400
Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> wrote:

> Hello.  I use jpilot.  I recently got a used Palm Pilot Zire 21.  I had
> previously been using a Palm IIIe, but it was a serial connection,
> and did not use a usb to sync. I have used a Zire in the past, but I
> can't seem to set this one set up correctly.  I read the README files
> from the pilot-link package, and did once get it to sync, but I can't
> seem to do it again.

I sync my Palm Centro using pilot-link over USB, and it works perfectly.

> The stuff I did was something along the lines of running the following
> commands:
>
> /sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd
> /sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd
> /bin/mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1
> /bin/chmod 0666 /dev/ttyUSB?

I don't do any of this.

> I'm not sure exactly if this is what I did to get it to sync the one
> time, but those commands are from the README.usb file of the Debian
> package pilot-link, which I used.
>
> It doesn't work now, and I'd hate to have to keep entering some
> variation of the above commands each time. There is another file,
> called README.Debian, that presumably tells users how to set it up to
> work once and for all. The problem is I don't really understand what
> this README.Debian file is instructing.  Some of what the README.Debian
> file says is:
>
> /dev/pilot is no more used by pilot-link. You shall indicate the port
> to use either with --port <port> or by the environment variable
> $PILOTPORT.
>
> I haven't a clue what they're talking about here. Where is this
> "environment variable $PILOTPORT"?  Does anyone know how to set this up?

I include this line in my .bashrc :

export PILOTPORT=usb:

For testing, you just enter that line at the CLI (of the specific VT /
xterm you'll be invoking pilot-link from).

After this, invoking pilot-link should "just work" ...

Celejar