Re: firewall package for laptop wi-fi client

You should probably be running a plugin/extension that turns off flash
and javascript, and let you selectively enable for individual sites.
On firefox/iceweasel, these would be flashblock and noscript. I also
have adblock plus installed. With careful use, this will cull out most
of the malicious stuff.

As for needing a firewall, if you run as few network services as
possible, you really don't need a firewall, or at least minimal rules.
For instance, my laptop has the following ports:

PORT     STATE SERVICE
22/tcp   open  ssh
5666/tcp open  nrpe
8010/tcp open  xmpp

If you are on a public wifi, you can turn off ssh server (the client
will still work) and nrpe (the Nagios client). On the other hand, if
you turn off password auth in ssh, you should be relatively safe
leaving ssh running. xmpp is the jabber client, and if you are not
using chat, then that should be turned off.

--b