Re: how to a mailing list

Marco Vaschetto wrote:
I need configure a mailing list but I didn't know how.

Somebody can given to me a suggestion for know were start to do it?
and elaborated

Not a lot of subscribers I think will never have more then 50 the MTA is exim, sorry but is the first time I work whit mail server.
Andrei Popescu wrote:
Ok. With fewer subscribers it could be done via /etc/aliases, but 50 is
too much to maintain, unless you don't expect the subscriber list to
change to much (or not at all).

Probably any mailing list manager will do. Mailman is a very popular
choice, but might be overkill (it has a lot of features you will
probably not need). 'apt-cache search mailing list manager' shows this:

ecartis - Fast, Flexible Mailing List Manager
minimalist - MINImalistic MAiling LISTs manager
courier-mlm - Courier mail server - mailing list manager
enemies-of-carlotta - mailing list manager
mailman - Powerful, web-based mailing list manager
mlmmj - mail server independent mailing list manager
schleuder - GnuPG enabled mailing list manager with
remailer-capabilities
smartlist - Versatile and Intelligent List Processor
sympa - Modern mailing list manager
Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
First try to make a simple MTA working.
Then play with it's configuration.

After that, play with mailing lists.
I'll echo Mihamina's caution. MTAs are complicated, mailing list managers are even more complicated, and if you're going to run a list you really need to integrate antispam and antivirus, and keep them updated. It gets very tricky, very quickly. (I speak as someone who runs several dozen, mid-sized list.)

Listserv and majordomo are the classics, but listserv is now commercial, costs serious money, and is overkill for anybody except a university; majordomo is no longer supported.

Mailman is definitely the more popular, but a bit of overkill. I personally use the combination of postfix (mta) with sympa, which is about the most powerful open source list manager around - wired up with spamassassin, clamav, and amavisd -- very powerful, and easy to administer, but very tricky to get running properly, and software updates always require a bit of work to install.

For a really small list, that doesn't change often, putting the names in /etc/alias will do (but still, get antispam and antivirus wired up with your mta).

Smartlist might be the simplest option for you - it's fairly minimalist (again, get antispam and antivirus wired up with your mta).

But again, be cautious - pretty much anything involved with email requires some serious familiarity with your MTA, and to a lesser degree with wiring together multiple long-running services. As Mihamina wrote, get very familiar with your MTA first. Then get antispam/virus working. Then really read through the documentation and how-tos associated with various list managers. Then pick one and get it working. (Or, as much as I hate to suggest it, there are always google and yahoo groups - though good luck at ever migrating away from one of those.)

Miles Fidelman