Re: Installing Debian over a Fedora 12 system

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 12:31:02PM +0000, James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> I've a Fedora 12 system which I'm distinctly unimpressed by, and want to
> install Debian. It's currently set up with two 1 tb drives. These both
> have a 250 Mb boot partition and then the rest is a RAID 1, hosting LVM
> for the other partitions. Am I going to have to back up all of my data
> in home (separate partition) and start a new structure or is there a
> simple way of installing debian and have it recognise the existing
> structure? The partitions are all EXT4 except boot which is EXT3.
>
> Thank you for any advice. I'll probably back up home to be on the safe
> side anyway!

My thoughts are:

1. keep fedra
2. Experiment with Debian in qemu+kvm.
3. Backup super critical data to CD/DVD from /home.
4. Make live CD of any recent Linux distro which has gpartd included.
5. Play with gpartd after booting from live CD.
6. Install Debian into newly created empty space.
7. Move date from old system by mounting them into Debian.

Cheers, Osamu