Re: why must emacs depend on sound packages?

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 05:43:24AM EDT, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 06:11:05PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> > Sure.. I use vim rather than vi but the "command-mode" default key
> > mapping, for instance, is pretty awful.
>
> CTRL-[ is easier.

I believe you would want to use the Ctrl-P & Ctrl-N mappings to navigate
the "command-line mode" history in vim so as to be in sync' with the
readline emacs defaults.

In vim this can be achieved by adding:

:cnoremap <C-P>         <Up>
:cnoremap <C-N>         <Down>

to one's .vimrc.

The only thing is that when you issue for instance the ":set paste"
command and need to retrieve later, with the arrow keys you can type
":set" and do an <up arrow> and vim will retrieve the "paste" part of
the command and append to the ":set" that you typed.

For some reason this does not appear to work when you remap <Up> to
Ctrl-P.. the previous ommand command is retrieved in its entirety and
whatever you typed beyond the ":" is ignored.

Sorry about sloppy post earlier.. hope this benefits s/o on the list.

CJ