Re: Gnome problem under squeeze/amd64

Thank you.
**************************

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having this problem:
>
> I recently installed squeeze amd64 in my laptop and after that I recived
> the gdm login screen.  I tried to login with my normal user account
> (juan) and after I do so,  I receive a blank screen.  I'm able to use
> cntl + alt + f1 - f6 terminals, I can login and execute any console
> command.  But if I back again to the graphical desktop and kill the x
> server with cntl + alt + backspace, I receive the login prompt again but
> if I proceed, now I'm still having the black screen not even the
> graphical desktop but in the character terminals cntl + alt+ f1 -f6
> also.  These consoles are operative because if I execute commands like
> reboot or halt for example, they are executed;  the problem is that I
> can't see anything.
>
> Making some tests I detected that if I discard gnome use and login into
> a twm session everythings works without problem.  The same is true if I
> login into gnome _AS USER ROOT_, I mean I can work without troubles as
> root under gnome (dangerous I know, it's only a test) so I think it's
> not a xorg configuration problem.
>
> Please if anyone has any idea of what's happening.....  help me
>
> Regards
>

> Juan
>
> Pls excuse my bad english

First backup your data (/etc, /home, etc,.)!

You can do some more tests.

Create a new regular user and see if you have the same problem. If not
then we can conclude that the issue is with the "jaun" user settings.

If you don't have any data you need to keep under the "jaun" home
directory (/home/jaun) or you have already backed it up, then one easy
solution is to delete the user "jaun" along with its home directory
(deluser --remove-home). Note this will delete the /home/jaun directory
and *all* its files and sub-directories. Then re-create the user "jaun".
This needs to be done with the root user account.

Note: When you re-create the user "jaun" it may not get the same UID as
the original user "jaun". This will affect any file that "jaun" owns
that is outside of the /home/jaun directory or groups "jaun" belongs to.
In this case as the root user you can change the ownership of the files
back to "jaun" and add "jaun" to the relevant groups as needed.

You can also recreate the user "jaun" with the same UID. For example if
the original "jaun" UID was 1000 do the following.
 #adduser --uid 1000 jaun

To see the current UID of the "jaun" user:
 $cat /etc/passwd | grep jaun

You will see something similar to this:
 jaun:x:1000:1000:jaun,,,:/home/jaun:/bin/bash

The first number is the UID and the second one is the GID. Normally when
Debian creates a user it make the UID and the GID the same unless the
root user has done something to change this.

The "#" is the root user prompt and the "$" is the regular user prompt.

You can also try renaming /home/jaun/.gnome or (/home/jaun/gnome2) to
something like /home/jaun.gnome.old. Login to a tty terminal as user
jaun to do this and make sure jaun is *not* logged into gnome.
Then log into gnome as jaun. This should recreate the
/home/jaun/.gnome(2) directory with default setting.

If the new regular user created above has the same problem then there
maybe issues with the gnome global configuration. In which case it maybe
easier to re-install gnome. You may have to purge gnome first. Remember,
any custom settings you have made to gnome will be lost.