Re: Acceptable CPU temperature range of idle computer?

Felix Karpfen wrote:
> Since upgrading from Sarge to Etch, my CPU temperature appears to be
> running 5-10 deg.C higher; immediately after booting it is a healthy 30
> deg.C and it creeps up to 45-50 deg.C within an hour.  On the idle (?)
> computer there are some 120 processes running and the system load is about
> 40%.
>
> Am I heading for a problem?
>
> The documentation says that the CPU is:
>
> "Socket 478 for Intel4/Celeron"
>
> and I have failed to locate any reference to an acceptable temperature
> range.
>
> All advice will be gratefully received.
>
> Felix Karpfen

Although you don't seem to refer to a notebook computer, this site may
be of some help:
http://www.linuxpowertop.org/

On notebook computers with no load I see temperatures (with the command
acpi -V) as follows:
pentium 4m     1.9 GHz: 45 deg C
pentium-m      2 GHz  : 41 deg C
turion64 MT-40 2.2 GHz: 50 deg C

Under load these cpus can heat up far above 60 deg C.
--
Regards,
Jörg-Volker.