workaround for: xterm won't start on AMD K6 with stock 2.6.22-1-486 kernel

Takehiko Abe wrote:
> Paul Scott wrote:
>
> > $ stat /dev/ptmx
> > [...snip...]
>
> ptmx looks fine to me.
>
> > mountpoint says /dev/pts is not a mount point
>
> You need to mount devpts filesystem at /dev/pts.
> pts(4) manpage says:
>
> ;; The Linux support for the above (known as Unix98 pty naming) is
> ;; done using the devpts filesystem, that should be mounted on
> ;; /dev/pts.
>
> Try something like this (_NOT_TESTED_):
>
> $ sudo mount -t devpts -o uid=0,gid=5,mode=620 devpts /dev/pts
This would allow the window to be drawn but no shell!  Changing mode to
666 allowed shell as well!

(snip)

> Note that I've never had to do it myself.  My /etc/fstab on a Sarge
> system has this entry:
>
>     none    /dev/pts    devpts    gid=5,mode=620    0    0
I will try putting this in my fstab after I send this email.

> But my lenny box does not have it. I don't know who mounts devpts for
> me on lenny (perhaps it's udev but I'm not sure.)
This still leaves the mystery of how it happened and whether the fstab
entry is the correct Debian solution for sid.

Thanks!!

Paul