Re: How to move the master boot record?

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 23:28:05 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:

> I had to add to /etc/modules a couple of modules. I can't remember in
> which order, but at first I had no mouse pointer showing at all. I
> modprobed one module, then had the mouse pointer, but couldn't move it,
> then modprobed the second module, and all was working ok. See the 2
> modules below.
>
> mousedev
> psmouse

 Both the Sarge and the Etch kernels have a "psmouse" driver; only the
Sarge kernel (2.6.8) has a "mousedev" driver.

Armed with this discovery, I took another look at my operational
/etc/lilo.conf file.  And I now suspect that my current entries are
insufficiently precise (and the guidance in the man-page is too
<cryptic|out-of-date>) to load the desired kernels.

Given that the relevant entries in my /boot directory read:

 System.map-2.6.18-4-486
 System.map-2.6.8-2-386
 config-2.6.18-4-486
 config-2.6.8-2-386
 initrd.img-2.6.18-4-486
 initrd.img-2.6.8-2-386
 vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-486
 vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386

what are the needed entries in /etc/lilo.conf that will result in
2.6.8-2-386 kernel?

All advice will be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen

--