Re: Idle Telnet Timeouts

On May 1, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Greg Folkert wrote:

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 01:16 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
ArcticFox wrote in Article <48e57010d8b5f26fc52860188570261c@insightbb.com>
posted to gmane.linux.debian.user:

Not sure if this is the right list to ask this on, too many to choose
from and none of the others looked like what I wanted. Anyway; here's
the deal, I'm running a TinyMUSH world on my system. The problem that
I'm having is that when a player is idle for any length of time they
get disconnected with a "Network error: POSIX error: Operation timed
out" as far as I can tell, this shouldn't be happening. Neither my ISP
nor the MUSH software is disconnecting them. In fact the MUSH has an
idle timeout in it to d/c players that have been idle for too long,
this isn't activating however.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this?

Sounds like some router between your MUSH and your players is timing out connections prematurely. Either find and reconfigure the router, or make
sure people use TCP keepalives with relatively short intervals to keep
connections from going stale.

That was exactly the place I was going. I just wanted to see what kind
of errors were being spewed. It could be some settings could be changed
in MUSH. I know that many(some?) MUDs can be tweaked to change these
things.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup

I seem to have fixed it. I adjusted the priority of the port I'm using for the MUSH software. As of right now I have a character who's been connected (and idle) for 21 hours and 12 minutes.

Thanks for your suggestions!