Re: alternative Re: Is my system compromised

hi ya johnannes

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> Alvin Oga wrote:
> > for fun ... and i'm sure this is nothing new to the
>
> Thanks for the funny post. Unfortunateley, it doesn't relate to the
> subject line. Maybe you should have started a new thread: "how can I in
> future make sure that my machine is not compromised."

nah... i think it does, but granted i forgot what the orig post wanted
and if it's "is my system compromized", than i say the md5sum stuff can
help.. if one really wanted to know ..

1. build a new box on a new disk... run md5sum  with a script ..
2. run the same script on the "suspect box" ...

3. any differences is the result of the cracker or user
   or different times that "apt-get upgrade" was run
   and apt-get can tell you what it installed
	- there can be lots of differences or almost none
	depending on what you're looking for

c ya
alvin