Re: How much hassle to upgrade from 2.4.27 to 2.6.*?

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 08:47 -0800, David Kirchner wrote:
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/3385
>
> describes a bizarre situation that, as far as I know, still exists today.

Actually, something like this may have happened to me also.  I just
ended up switching the cables for the cards.  However, later I found a
way to configure interfaces by mac address, rather than by name
in /usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.gz .  See the
file for the full example:

# Two ethernet interfaces, one connected to a trusted LAN, the other to
# the untrusted Internet, identified by MAC address rather than
interface
# name:

Of course this doesn't fix any programs that rely on interface name.

Casey