Re: manually run e2fsck

Rodney Richison wrote:
My system wants me to run e2fsck manually.
How to do this in debian? The machine boots and runs fine.
Soooo, with grub, can I boot somehow not mounted and run e2fsck without
a rescue cd?

I assume you're talking about / here, otherwisae, just umount the partition and run e2fsck.

elsewhere I have heard that you can manually e2fsck on / by doing

init 1
mount /dev/hdxx / -o remount-ro
e2fsck /dev/hdxx
init 5 <or whatever you normally run>

this drops you to runlevel 1, remounts / as readonly which *I BELIEVE* makes it safe to e2fsck, however, YMMV!! warning!

best bet is to use some kind of rescue boot, knoppix works great for this.

and then you need to find out why its doing that... there is a recent bug in e2fsprogs that causes problems if your hardware clock is not set to UTM.