Re: Sarge Sound Issues

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:40:10 +0200, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

Would someone please tell me what does "ymfpci blacklisted" means as seen in the bootup messages

It means that the ymfpci module is listed in /etc/hotplug/blacklist or in
one of the files in /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/.

It is probably blacklisted because you have alsa-base installed. alsa-base puts ymfpci on the blacklist because the latter is an OSS
module.  ALSA and OSS are incompatible.

I have ALSA and ALSA-OSS installed and my sound card is YMF 724F by Yamaha and does notwork

Try:
  modprobe snd-ymfpci

--
Thomas Hood

Thanks, Thomas, for your reply.  I'm not subscribed, so I picked this up browsing the list.
ymfpci was listed in alsa-base in the blacklist.d directory.  I am wondering if I should
remove alsa and alsa-oss(imulation, I think) and install OSS to make my YMF 724F soundcard work? I'm fairly new to Debian and this is my first attempt to get sound working having had more serious problems upgrading kernels, getting modem to work and getting cups to work.
Modprobe snd-ymfpci didn't change anything.  I still get the X Informational-artsmessage when
I start KDE or the KDE sound mixer. There were no error messages when I modprobed.  Any other
suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks, len