Re: digital camera (100 - 200 USD price range)

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:32:47 -0500, David Mandelberg wrote:

> My sister is looking to get a digital camera, and I'm trying to find one
> that is compatible with ubuntu or another easy to use debian derivative
> (or debian itself if sarge/etch is user friendly enough).
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

http://gphoto.org/

my Canon Powershot A75 works great w/Debian, Ubuntu, Mandrake,
Knoppix, Wind^H^H^H^H using gtkam as a gui frontend for direct connect, or
by plugging the compactflash card into a usb card reader (a Sandisk in my
case). It was highly recommended on a couple of review sites, and cost ~
$220 at CompUSA w/ an extra compactflash card as a bonus- two days later,
I saw it at Walmart for $175 <shrug>, so I coulda gotten camera and much
heftier memory card for less...

http://www.dcresource.com/ which is recommended by gphoto.org, is an
awesome site