Re: grub wants root=/dev/hde??

* Lance Hoffmeyer <lance@augustmail.com> [2004 Sep 01 15:07 -0500]:
> Grub keeps putting my root on /dev/hde.
>
> Originally this is where my harddrive was.
> Now I have moved it to /dev/hda.  Why
> won't Grub recognize this?  I keep having
> to edit the root= line at each boot?

I think you'll need to edit the first and perhaps the second stanza
I've included below of your grub menu.lst file:

## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specifiv kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/hda3 vga=2 ro

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd0,2)

The first stanza tells your kernel its root device while the second
tells grub where it should look for its files.  The update-grub command
uses the first stanza while the grub-install script uses the second, I
believe.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of