Re: Need to prevent X from restarting

Aldous Huxley wrote:

Yes, I already knew that trick.  It's just that sometimes I need to
back out of X completely to free up system resources to allow me to
play mp3s using console-based players like "splay".

So I'd like to be able to boot into X login, then back out of X when
I'm through "working", free up that precious memory (64mb total) and
play some music and use other console-based progs too.

So is there a way to prevent X from always restarting?

You can back out by doing <ctrl><alt><f1> and say
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
or /etc/init.d/kdm or which X login you're using; It'll completely stop the X for you

HTH,

Joris