Re: printer queue immortal - help!

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 01:29:17PM -0400, richard lyons wrote:
> On Sunday 02 May 2004 14:56, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 12:52:57PM +0200, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > > Help!  I have an epson stylus c62 local on a sid box.  Mozilla sent it a
> > > raw postscript file as text.  THis means dozens of pages of garbage.  I
> > > tried to cancel the printjob:
> > >   - from CLI as the user whose job it was - failed
> > >   - from CLI as root - ditto
> > >   - by deleting files from /var/spool/cups - but continues to print
> > >   - by deleting files from /var/spool/lpd/lp - job now disappears from
> > >     lpq, but continues to print.
> > >
> > > Switching off the printer and back on has no effect - it just carries on
> > > printing.
> > >
> > > Restarting lpd and cupsd has no effect.  Rebooting the computer has no
> > > effect (yes, I got that desperate).  How can I stem the flow of
> > > printout?  The data must reside somewhere...
> >
> > ps ax, find the processes doing the printing and kill -9 them.
>
> Thanks Pigeon.  I killed a process with a long name including that "@:64" - no
> effect.  Killed cups and then lpd - that stopped it (I could have
> done /etc/init.d/cups stop, etc, but didn't think of it).
>
> Of course, I have to unplug the printer from the computer if I restart the
> computer, as then the print service restarts and continues sending garbage to
> the printer.   This means that I shall have to relocate the printer at
> another computer and hope not to repeat the problem there.  Like the villain
> in a horror movie, the print job comes to life again however often I kill it.
>
> The only alternative is to find where the data is saved and delete it.  Which
> brings me back to the original question.  WHere else, other than /var/spool,
> does the data of a print job reside?

lprm doesn't work? (You may have to be root or a member of the group
owning the files.)

If you are using cups, you can delete it with lprm, the web-interface,
or yes in /var/spool/cups/d##### (where #### = job number I think,
ignore all the c### files---I think they are just the completed job
history info).

lpd, I believe also stores under /var/spool, but again lprm should work
to remove the file.

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.